Konstantinos Kafetsios is an Associate Professor in Social and Organizational Psychology at the Psychology Department, University of Crete, one of the foremost research intensive Universities in Greece. He has held research and teaching positions in the UK (University of Cambridge, Anglia Ruskin University) and in Greece (Hellenic Open University, University of Thessaly). He is currently the Director of the Applied Psychology Laboratory at the University of Crete.
Within the Emotions and Relationships Research Group he examines persons' relational and emotional capacities within their imminent social context: in dyadic relationships, in -hierarchical- relationships at work and within their cultural contexts. The research adopts a multilevel approach conceptually, operationally, and analytically, interfacing the different levels of analysis: person and dyad, group and culture. The "take home message" of this research is that social context is important for understanding the intrapersonal and interpersonal parameters of emotion and well-being. Ultimately, the research we conduct has real-world implications for how people communicate emotionally and relate with one another in personal and social relationships, relationships at work, and within different cultures.
- Close Relationships
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Interpersonal Processes
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Organizational Behavior
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Emotion Communication Laboratory
- Hess, U., Blaison, C., & Kafetsios, K. (2016). Judging facial emotion expressions in context: The influence of culture and self-construal orientation. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 40, 55-64.
- Hess, U., Kafetsios, K., Mauersberger, H., Blaison, C., & Kessler, C. (2016). Accuracy and bias in the perception of facial emotion expressions: From labs to life. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 42, 1092-1110.
- Kafetsios, K. (2006). Social support and well-being in contemporary Greek Society: Examination of multiple indicators at different levels of analysis. Social Indicators Research, 76, 127-145.
- Kafetsios, K., Andriopoulos, P., & Papahiou, A. (2014). Relationship status moderates avoidant attachment differences in positive emotion decoding accuracy. Personal Relationships, 21, 191-205.
- Kafetsios, K., Athanasiadou, M., & Dimou, N. (2014). Leaders’ and subordinates’ attachment orientation, emotion regulation and affect at work: A multilevel analysis. The Leadership Quarterly, 25*3, 512-527.
- Kafetsios, K., Hantzara, K., Anagnostopoulos, F., & Niakas, D. (2016). Doctors’ attachment orientations, emotion regulation strategies, and patient satisfaction: A multilevel analysis. Health Communication, 31, 6, 772-777.
- Kafetsios, K., & Hess, U. (2015). Are you looking at me? The influence of facial orientation and cultural focus salience on the perception of emotion expressions. Cogent Psychology- Social Psychology Section. 2, dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2015.1005493
- Kafetsios, K., & Hess, U. (2013). Effects of activated and dispositional self-construal on emotion perception accuracy. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 37(3), 191-205.
- Kafetsios, K., Hess, U., & Nezlek, J.B. (in press). Self-construal, affective valence of the encounter, and quality of social interactions: Within and cross-culture examinations. Journal of Social Psychology.
- Kafetsios, K., & Nezlek, J. B. (2012). Emotion and support perceptions in everyday social interaction: Testing the “less is more hypothesis” in two different cultures. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 29, 165-184.
- Kafetsios, K., & Nezlek, J. B. (2002). Attachment in everyday social interaction. European Journal of Social Psychology, 32(5), 719-735.
- Kafetsios, K., Nezlek, J. B., & Vassilakou, T. (2012). Relationships between leaders’ and subordinates’ emotion regulation capabilities, satisfaction and affect at work. The Journal of Social Psychology, 152(4), 436-457.
- Kafetsios, K., Nezlek, J. B., & Vassiou, K. (2011). A multilevel analysis of relationships between leaders’ and subordinates’ emotional intelligence and emotional outcomes. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 41(5), 119-1142.
- Mauersberger, H., Blaison, C., Kafetsios, K., Kessler, C-L., & Hess, U. (2015). Individual differences in emotional mimicry: Underlying traits and social consequences. European Journal of Personality. 29, 512-529.
- Nezlek, J. B., Kafetsios, K., & Smith, V. (2008). Emotions in everyday social encounters: Correspondence between culture and self-construal. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 39(4), 366-372.
- Zampetakis, L., Kafetsios, K., Lerakis, M., & Moustakis, V. (2015). Investigating the role of self-construal in the formation of entrepreneurial intentions. Front Psychol., 6: 1085. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01085
- Applying Social Psychology
- Social Psychology II: Experimental Social Psychology
- Social Psychology of Interpersonal Relationships
- Sociopsychological Approaches to Emotion
University of Crete
Department of Psychology
- Work: +302831077534
- Home: +306940144194
- Fax: +302831077534
- Skype Name: kkafetsios